Bill Jonas on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:22:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Sound Problems

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:44:01AM -0500, Ted Chalker wrote:
> I've been having problems with my built in sound card.  It is built
> into my motherboard (EPoX 8K7A) and uses the AC'97 codec.

I had problems with the built-in sound card on my motherboard, too.  It
worked fine until I purchased and began playing a Quake2-engine-based
game.  Then it would cut out in the middle of play, requiring quitting
the game and restarting to restore function.

> The problem is that sounds are often delayed by a second.  I'm using
> Mandrake 8.2beta and SoundDrake tells me that the card has been
> configured but if it was then sounds would not be delayed.  So far the
> HOWTOs for sound have not been helpful at all and I'm just looking for
> some suggestions.

I've heard some people swear by ALSA.  I haven't tried it myself.
http://www.alsa-project.org/  FWIW, it's existed for a few years now and
has recently been merged into the 2.5 branch.

I fixed my problem by getting a SoundBlaster Live! Value card for ~$40
at a computer show.  (They can be had for about this price on the web,
too.)

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html