Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:16:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Sound Problems

On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 10:44, Ted Chalker wrote:
> I've been having problems with my built in sound card.  It is built into my
> motherboard (EPoX 8K7A) and uses the AC'97 codec.  The problem is that sounds
> are often delayed by a second.

Based on my experience, this is usually the fault of the sound server or
sometimes even the application.  For example, XMMS playing through the
arts output is delayed, while direct to /dev/dsp is (as far as I can
tell) close to real time.  I still don't understand why, but that may
give you a clue of some things to try.

However, I also have a AC'97 based onboard sound card, and I had serious
problems with the driver.  This required changes to the kernel to fix,
at least for my particular card.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com