Paul on Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:20:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Home network advice

"I am kind of confused by the page.  It mentions ipchains and iptables, you
can't use both can you?"

When I wrote the page, I was using ipchains.  Then, I upgraded my Red Hat distribution and started using iptables.  I had including
information on both knowing that some people won't be so quick to upgrade.

"You mention using a reading a Bridge+Firewall+DSL howto.  It looks like
you are using NAT and not a bridge.  Nothing wrong with using NAT only, I
just don't know why you mentioned the bridge."

I don't see where I mentioned a Bridge+Firewall+DSL howto.  If I did, there must have been something relevant in it, not that the
entire document was specifically targeted at what I wanted to do.  Sometime important information is scattered about.

Actually, I use IP masquerading, which, I guess, is a form of NAT.

"Have you looked at http://bridge.sourceforge.net?";

No.