Time on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:29:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ProFTP on Cobalt Raq3

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:44:56PM -0500, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> From: "W. Chris Shank" <shankwc999@yahoo.com>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:44:56 -0500
> Subject: [PLUG] ProFTP on Cobalt Raq3
>
> Having an issue with ProFTP running on a cobalt raq3 appliance (Redhat 6.2 or
> 7). I cannot FTP in as a regular user, only as the admin user (like root but
> less destructive) from behind a firewall. From home I can ftp as both, but
> from firewall, only admin. Is there a directive that would control which
> ports are used? This has me very perplexed.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> -chris

Chris,

I use a similar appliance class server (Cobalt RaQ4) and have recently had a
breach in security that almost totally compromised my box due to my ignorance
of how easy it is to sniff an unencrypted packet for passwords.

Since then I've been using scp religiously and not only is it more secure
but it also saves time rather than having to jockey files around.

To use you'll need to install the openSSH package (depends on OpenSSL)
to your local machine - it should already be installed on your RaQ3,
if not www.cobalt.com should have links to the .pkg files required.

The syntax for usage is:

scp file username@yourdomain.com:	<--- places the file in user's home dir
scp -r dirname username@yourdomain.com:    <--- resurssive directory in home dir