Jason Costomiris on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:50:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommend a Laptop

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 02:19:19AM -0500, Paul wrote:
: I checked out emperorlinux.com and qlilinux.com (tuxtops).
: The laptops are a little pricey for me.  I was looking to
: stay well under 15 Gs.  (I guess it's time to look at used
: stuff.)

Tell you what, you give me 10 Gs, and I'll give you a brand new
top of the line ThinkPad.  Ok?  I'll even save you 5 G's on it!

Seriously though - you want to know why the big boys still use Winmodems
on their laptops?  It's just simple economics.  The Linux laptop market
is microscopic compared with the whole.  Get one with a Lucent-based
winmodem.  The Linux drivers work fine.

--j, happily using RH 7.2 on a ThinkPad T21, and yes, the modem works.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.