Paul on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:18:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommend a Laptop

I checked out emperorlinux.com and qlilinux.com (tuxtops).
The laptops are a little pricey for me.  I was looking to
stay well under 15 Gs.  (I guess it's time to look at used
stuff.)

Getting an unwanted copy of Windows XP wouldn't be that bad
if it were on a CD-ROM which I could resell or give away.
>From what I've seen with Toshiba, the only way to install
Windows is to use a recovery CD, which only works with a
limited range of laptop models.  Another rip off.

Another thing the stinks is the added "feature" of a
built-in winmodem.  Sounds good if you are running Windows
for which those crappy winmodems are designed to work with.
Not so good for me.

I give up!

Why don't HP, Toshiba, Dell, and every other company just
admit that they're virtual divisions of Micro$oft?  I wonder
if they ever dream of being freed from slavery to master
Bill?  All I know is that, as long as money keeps pouring
in, they will never care about people like me.

I started that dreaded thread about how Microsoft influenced
the hardware market.  Well, in a way, in my little world,
Linux influences my buying decisions.  I will never buy a
winmodem and I will avoid, if possible, any device that
Linux can't utilize due to the companies lack of cooperation
with  programmers.