Paul on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:53:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommend a Laptop

> I should think a laptop (even a Vaio) would cost less than $15,000! :-)

Not one with a built-in WINMODEM!!!  8-)

> I am currently writing this to you from the road (as my sig attests) on a
> Toshiba 400CDT, P75 laptop with an 800M disk drive and 24M of RAM.  I have a
> PCMCIA modem and (for those times when I get lucky) a 3COM PCMCIA 10/100 Base
> T Ethernet card.  I purchased the computer used last year at a show and got
> $20.00 off from not taking the Win95 license that came with it (I actually
> formatted the drive via Tom's Root Boot diskette as a sign of good faith right
> in front of the guy).  It's got a CDROM and externally attachable floppy
> drive, sound (out of a piss-poor speaker), microphone, and internal power
> supply (i.e. has only a power cord externally, not a power supply).

That is inspirational.  Basically, what I am considering is
a laptop which I can use to demonstrate Web sites, or the
fact that Linux is real and that it can do real things, at a
remote location, with Internet connectivity, to a person or
company which might buy into Linux or a Web site and pay me
to hook it up.

The ability to watch a DVD wouldn't hurt.  My wife rented a
laptop-like DVD player at an airport.  That's entertainment.

The major factor is that I'm not working right now.  So a
purchase like this has to be justifiable as an investment.

> Remember also that the best and most Linux-friendly new machines make the best
> Linux-friendly used machines (to wit, my Toshiba).  Dell, Compaq, and IBM
> ThinkPads are also good choices because of Linux-friendliness and good, solid
> hardware.

I didn't think a Compaq would be that great.  I did notice
at emperorlinux.com that they use Dell, IBM, and Sony.  I
would tend to favor one that has a touch pad instead of the
little eraser-head mouse thing.