Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:30:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] GNU gettext, trying out a translation...

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 06:49:50PM -0500, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> I've got a small peice of software that uses GNU gettext to handle it's
> internationalization.  There are several translations distributed with
> this software (en, de, fr, it, etc.).
>
> I used to be able to get this software to display in one of the other
> langauges by running it like so:
>
>   [user@host ~]$ LANG=de programName
>
> That no longer works.  I've also tried LANGUAGE=de, and LANGUAGE=de_DE:de.
>
> Is anyone familliar enough with gettext to know how you can get an
> application to use a specified translation?

    LANG=de_DE programName

Check out (the program) locale, especially the -a flag.

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>