Gerald D. Neale on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:24:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake 8.1?

--- "W. Chris Shank" <shankwc999@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How many folks are using Mandrake 8.1? How do you
> like it? In an attempt to
> get a more user-friendly linux for my wife (who has
> to use my computer at
> home for the next several months) I decided to go
> from a basic RH7.2 install,
> with minimal desktop applications (using it mostly
> for server stuff) to
> something a little easier for her. I thought
> Mandrake would have been the
> obvious choice, but after getting it installed, I
> found that it does support
> my LS-120 floppy (no ide-floppy module) and cannot
> mount my USB CF reader
> (not sure why - harddrake sees it but I can't mount
> it). It seems that it has
> to do with using the devfs.
Mndrake made a bold move by buying into devfs so
early...and frankly they screwed it up on 8.1. CDs
won't mount, floppies won't either. I suggest
downloading the 8.2beta. They've got the mounting
issues sorted out by now.

If you're willing to stick with RH try to downoad
Ximian and make sure you use Red Carpet. This is the
most user friendly set up I've come across. My wife
likes it.
Jerry

=====
The Cherry Hill Linux User's Group
meets on the first Friday of every month.
http://www.chlug.org