Gerald D. Neale on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:00:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] DHCP server for RH or genric linux

This works with Red Hat...
Make sure you have dhcpcd, the "client daemon",
installed.
rpm -q dhcpcd

if not install it from the cds
rpm -Uvh dhcpcd*

or install from online
rpm -Uvh
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/current/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/dhcpcd-1.3.18pl8-13.i386.rpm

or better yet use apt-rpm
apt-get install dhcpcd

Now that you've installed the program configure your
NIC to utilize dhcpcd with the command line program
netconfig. This is totally self-explanatory.

At first I reccommend setting your HOSTNAME to
"localhost" in the /etc/sysconfig/network file to
avoid conflict. Later you can find out your
comcast.net machine name and modify this file
accordingly if you want, but localhost is safe
initially.

Also, comment out or delete the nameserver entry in
/etc/resolv.conf. Your DNS server setting will now
come in dynamically. You can verify that(and some
other settings) in the /etc/dhcpcd/hcpcd-eth0.info
file.

Good Luck,
Jerry

http://chlug.org/message_board/read.php?f=4&i=181&t=181

--- thanous@dca.net wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> After comcast switched over to DCHP I got to
> thinking that it would be alot
> easier to set one up to spilt connections, and for
> LANs.  Anyway, I did some
> reading on them, and poked around online, both at
> Redhats site and on google,
> and I found a way to install one from a RPM on the
> orginal install disc.
>
> Now, the package didnt install right from the disc,
> and I cant get it to download
> off the ftp on RHs page.
>
> SOOOOOOO
>
> My question is, does anyone have any expereince with
> setting up a DHCP server?
>  What did you do?  How did you config?  Readme?
> Howto?  Etc
>
> Thats all for now :P
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony

=====
The Cherry Hill Linux User's Group
meets on the first Friday of every month.
http://www.chlug.org