eric@lucii.org on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:30:11 +0100

[PLUG] sendmail issue?

Before I start *really* banging my head against the wall I'll
run this strangeness by the list for hints:

Occasionally, my fetchmail fails to retrieve the mail from
one of the pop servers it checks.  In each case, I get the
following in my fetchmail.log file:

fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to /usr/sbin/sendmail %Tfetchmail: about
fetchmail: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from <domain>
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Typically, I'll only get a portion of one message and none of
the remaining messages from that server.
If I set fetchmail to run on a 3 minute interval then I'll get
the same portion of the same message, sometimes all night long.

Now, I've logged onto the server and examined the spool file.
It apppears fine *except* that where the message stops
there is a line with a single period on it.  This is just the
period from the end of the sentence on the line before.
If I delete the period, or just put a space in front of it and
re-run fetchmail then I get all the messages - no error.

I suspect that sendmail is seeing the line with only the period
and it decides to "die" or otherwise quit.
But I don't know.  That's a wild-ass guess that really makes no
sense.

Before I dig into the sendmail documentation (*ugh*) - has
anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Eric
--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth