Robert Heise on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:55:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux/UNIX OS choice

> For someone new, I would recommend Mandrake or Redhat, because of its
> simple Installation procedure(s). For more advanced users, I would say
> Debian or Slackware (yuck!). If you want to learn Unix, Linux is the way
> to go, although FreeBSD is nice too.

Mandrake and Redhat are essentially the same except Mandrake tweaks Redhat,
while this makes it better in some respects, it also makes it not very
standard. For example they put configuration files in different places, or
use their own custom files. Debian and Slackware are deffinately not for the
newbie, especially Debian, since its installation procedures would scare a
newbie away. I would also say that there isn't anything 'nice' about FreeBSD
or any other full blown unix. If you want a 'nice' unice, use linux.

Have fun learning linux/unix
Bob