eric@lucii.org on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:10:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] picking up radio interference

Ok, that's good. :-P  You've narrowed it down, probably to the wire
that leads from the output of the sound card to the speakers.
That is the part that is most likely to act as an antenna and conduct
the radio signal into the speaker amplifier.  Alternatively, it may be
the speaker amplifier itself (are the speakers ampified?).

What kind of radio is your neighbor using?  Is he a amatuer operator
or just running a "CB" rig?  He may be over his power limit.
Your computer equipment may have to accept any interference that
it receives but this would only apply to LEGAL power levels... if
he's illegal then it's up to him to clean up his act.

Good luck.

Eric

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:01:52AM -0500, Sherry Nelson wrote:
> I double checked & did experience RF interference while running Windows,
> Linux, and also with the computer turned off (except for the speaker
> volume). I suspect my neighbor recently boosted his transmitting power or
> changed  frequencies, as I've never had this problem before. Anyway,  I'll
> have to talk to my neighbor (or the FCC) and figure out what type of filter
> to use to block out his radio.
>
> thanks alot for your help,
> Sherry

[[CUT]]

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth