Bill Patterson on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:03:41 -0500

[PLUG] Comcast "OPEN IMMEDIATELY" but don't

For those of you following my travails getting my firewall working again
after trying to install Comcast's software on my Windows machine, there is
good news. After successive emails with the DI704 firewall manufacturer,
D-Link, I got to talk with a live tech-support guy today while I had the
network up. To make a long story short, we have undone the damage that
was done when I tried to set up the Comcast software.

This time I was smart and took notes (unlike when I went along with Comcast
and did not take notes). Comcast had had me do the same thing that D-Link
asked me to do:
 run "winipcfg" to release and renew the IP settings. My guess is that when
I did this with the WinME directly in line to Comcast things were reset that
did not allow the firewall-router to work with the modem any more. D-Link
had me do it with the WinME connected to the firewall-router, after which I
could use WinME to access the firewall-router administrative interface.
 Using the administrative interface, I stepped through a procedure to
restore and then clone MAC addresses.  After this Linux was on the Internet
again through the firewall.
 After that the WinME machine could ping specific numeric IP addresses.
Then, taking information on the DNS from the firewall-router, the two domain
name servers were then given to WinME DNS config. Now WinME can ping
symbolic addresses too and the browsers will work!

So, there is always hope.

Bill Patterson