Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:11:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux/UNIX OS choice

Utterly shameless plug:

> The Red Hat installer will not run on anything with less than 32 Mges of
> memory.  There is a project called RULE (RedHat Up2date Linux Everywhere)

Of course, debian will install on 9 MB of memory and 127 MB of HD. I did
this not long ago.

> that was just started to make a boot disk that will install on 386 class
> machines with either 8 or 16 megs of memory.  Red Hat 7.2  will run on a 386
> just fine ( i wouldn't use a gui on hardware like that it would be way too
> slow)

I have heard this dicussed a lot (people are talking about linux distros
like they were sepate OSes more and more, which to me is weird). I don't
know why people claim that a newer Mandrake is slower than an older one.
The kernel is roughly the same.

Maybe kde2 is bigger or something. Maybe they compiled more into the
kernel.  A quick kernel compile and a selection of a lighter wm should
make mandrake as speedy as the rest of the distros.

Also, I think that if one wants to go into IT, pick rh as a distro. I
personally, don't like it, but it is standardizing (except at IBM and HP).
For most people who don't know about computers rh == linux so it's good to
know the basics.

One other thing. Often I find on the surface, the distros look the same.

If I put kde on a desktop (no vendor icons) of debian or rh, it will be
the same for the users. Many tools gui admin tools are available under
debian, but many people don't know that b/c people keep saying debian is
harder to use, and b/c hard core debianites actually believe that a human
readable text file is easier to learn than wading through menus. Of
course, YMMV. I'm not bashing any distro here. I started w/ Mandrake (and
m68k debian). I use rh at work (not by choice). :) And I used debian
everywhere else. I am even zany enough to actually like debian's installer
(it's light and fast), and IMHO as easy to use as the other guys. I'm sure
I'd say the same with suse or slackware had I put in the time to learn it.

Between distros, the deeper you go, the more different it is, which
to me should be the opposite.  For example, networking in debian is under
/etc/network, while in rh, it's under /etc/sysconfig/network. Also, in
the passwd package, adduser source is slightly different in rh. rh added
a cli feature to make a home dir not found in other distros.

This is starting to freak me out b/c of fragmentation which could result
in vendor lock-in (had I not known better, I would have used cli in an
install script and my installer would break on any linux that wasn't rh),
but worse, it can make it hard for the distros to get along. When doing
low level tweaking, I think all the text files should be in the same
places, and have the same syntax. They don't so I'm relying on gui tools
in some cases b/c I don't know exactly where all the things the gui tool
changes. This makes scripting harder, and it means I can't take all my
scripts with me, which makes administration more monkey-like.

Hopefully, that initiative to standardize linux will help.

Fred