LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:57:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] fire wall question(s)

"Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX)" wrote:

So I guess the main point would be that a firewall is tightly
integrated with the kernel and can therefore kill the packet
much sooner than would happen otherwise. By the time a server
daemon get the packet it has been al the way through the protocol
stack.

This statement is very true since the firewalling code is compiled into
the kernel.  Thus the packets that are destined to be dropped are
destroyed before any of the other processes that might be listening for
them.  Thus when your firewall drops a packet it happens before init and
any of the sub processes.

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )