Michael F. Robbins on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:14:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux boot and Promise Fastrak100 Raid

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 21:57, Jon Jefferson wrote:
> I have a rackmount (whitebox) w/ a Promise FastTrak100 RAID (IDE)
> controller.  I am trying to install RH 7.2 to an 80g HD (mirrored), I
> completed the install, reboot, I get a message stating no operating system
> found, please insert boot disk, I then insert a boot floppy and the OS boots
> off of the array.  I have tried numerous (re)installs including, creating
> /boot partitions, placing the boot loaders (GRUB and LILO) on the /boot
> and the MBR, all with no success.  I have then taken the same drives off
> of the RAID controller and booted from the primary onboard controller
> fine.  If you have any clues, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm only familiar with LILO and software RAID, so this may or may not be
appropriate.  Once I have my lilo.conf file set up, I usually run it on
several different locations.  I'm talking about:
	lilo -b /dev/md0
	lilo -b /dev/hda
	lilo -b /dev/hdc
I think the behavior of LILO differs by version.  On more recent ones
I've seen it actually expand md0 and write the boot sector of both hda
and hdc, but who knows what RH7.2 has by default.  The -b tells LILO
where to write the boot sector, so this forces it to be put on the boot
sector of both physical drives.  I actually don't think writing direcly
to /dev/md0's bootsector does anything particularly useful, since I
think it'd be stored in the superblock or something similar (and
therefore not what the BIOS is looking for), except for the behavior on
certain LILO versions as I mentioned above.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com