Bill Jonas on Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:20:47 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux boot and Promise Fastrak100 Raid

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:12:49PM -0500, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> I'm talking about:
> 	lilo -b /dev/md0
> 	lilo -b /dev/hda
> 	lilo -b /dev/hdc

Nice.  This reminds me of problems I've had when I've attempted to clone
the filesystems from one disk onto another.  After mkfs-ing the
partitions, mounting them in the structure I want (under /mnt, say), and
copying the files over, I generally do a chroot to the target directory,
edit the lilo.conf (replacing, say, hda with hdc for the boot=foo
directive), and running lilo.  Then I undo the changes so it will be
right when I boot off the new disk.  However, whenever I've done this, I
get that blasted "LI010101010101..." stuff upon boot after I switch the
cabling, so I end up having to boot off a floppy or CD-ROM and fix it.

Would using lilo's -b switch be the proper way to do this?

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html