Kevin Brosius on Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:06:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux boot and Promise Fastrak100 Raid

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:12:49PM -0500, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> > I'm talking about:
> >       lilo -b /dev/md0
> >       lilo -b /dev/hda
> >       lilo -b /dev/hdc
>
> Nice.  This reminds me of problems I've had when I've attempted to clone
> the filesystems from one disk onto another.  After mkfs-ing the
> partitions, mounting them in the structure I want (under /mnt, say), and
> copying the files over, I generally do a chroot to the target directory,
> edit the lilo.conf (replacing, say, hda with hdc for the boot=foo
> directive), and running lilo.  Then I undo the changes so it will be
> right when I boot off the new disk.  However, whenever I've done this, I
> get that blasted "LI010101010101..." stuff upon boot after I switch the
> cabling, so I end up having to boot off a floppy or CD-ROM and fix it.
>
> Would using lilo's -b switch be the proper way to do this?

Generally, no.  It seems that lilo depends on disk ids which are defined
by the physically connected disk arrangement.  So once you power down
and move the disks around (swap cables or change BIOS settings for
number of disks) it invalidates the boot record lilo writes.

--
Kevin Brosius