Bill Jonas on Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:36:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux boot and Promise Fastrak100 Raid

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:06:16PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Generally, no.  It seems that lilo depends on disk ids which are defined
> by the physically connected disk arrangement.  So once you power down
> and move the disks around (swap cables or change BIOS settings for
> number of disks) it invalidates the boot record lilo writes.

Ah, okay.  That certainly accounts for the strangeness I've observed.

I was looking for something unrelated at Linuxdoc this afternoon, and the
LILO mini-HOWTO caught my eye.  It seems the proper way to do this is
with the "bios" configuration option for LILO, detailed at
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO-4.html>, if anyone's
interested.  After a bit of thought, it became clear to me why the
method I was using was failing.

Thanks.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html