Michael Leone on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:34:59 -0500

RE: [PLUG] fire wall question(s)

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 13:08, Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) wrote:

> So I guess the main point would be that a firewall is tightly
> integrated with the kernel and can therefore kill the packet
> much sooner than would happen otherwise. By the time a server
> daemon get the packet it has been al the way through the protocol
> stack.

Even so ... in a DOS scenario like we were discussing, you're hosed,
since all your bandwidth is consumed by incoming packets, regardless of
where in the stack your firewall kills the incoming packet.

Killing it sooner might get you back some bandwidth, since you *might*
be able to keep up with the incoming flow. Or you might not.

--

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>