Mike Leone on Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:23:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] distro for laptop?

>Mandrake 8.1 on the other hand, picked up the audio just fine but something called devfs kept screwing with the devices and
>really caused me some trouble trying to upgrade the workstation.

DevFS is not a Mandrake invention, altho they did start using it sooner than some other distros. It's supposed to dynamically make device entries in /dev. You can turn it off in LILO really easily, tho, and go back to standard ("older"?) method.