Bill Jonas on Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:20:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Computer Problems

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 06:56:28PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> Really? I know at least a dozen people with this board (including me),
> both EOM and retail, and none have ever had problems traced back to it.

I use one to good effect and love it, but see also
<http://tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/ultimate-linux-box/horror_story.html>.

    And the breakthrough came when a couple of linux-kernel people
    confirmed that the SB Live! is a frequent source of hangs and
    lockups on other fast PCI machines. With a few more hours of testing
    (during which our X source tree probably got cleaned and rebuilt
    more times than is allowed by law) we satisfied ourselves that the
    lockups stop happening when the SB Live! has been summarily yanked
    from the machine.

    Further testing proved, in fact, that the presence of the SB Live!
    in the machine can make it vulnerable to lockups triggered by
    network activity even when the emul10k1 support is not configured in
    at all! This takes the operating system out of the picture and
    suggests a hardware- or BIOS-level problem.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html