Jing Teng on Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:00:15 +0100

RE: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off Topic.... [Speeding Ticket]DOOH!!

I failed to stop at a stop sign a year ago, got a ticket... I went to
the court, but the cop didn't go... I was lucky!

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of gabriel
rosenkoetter
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 2:23 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off Topic.... [Speeding Ticket]DOOH!!

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:38:03PM -0500, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> i've found that if you show up for a hearing, sometimes the cop won't
> and it
> will be dismissed. also, just showing up and being pathetic has worked
fo rme
> in the past as well.

Not true for Staties in PA any more.

(Used to be that if it was outside normal work hours, they weren't paid.
Now they're paid time and a half even if it's within work hours. They
tend to show.)

One point on all of this: do whatever you can (and pay whatever you
must) to avoid points on your license. Open the phone book, call a
traffic lawyer. I gladly paid $950 to avoid five points (two separate
tickets, long story; suffice to say I'm That Guy) going back to my
Missouri license. That's a drip in the pan compared to what the insurace
would have been for the next eight to eighty years.

Also, when the state trooper does show up, the judge will listen to him,
not you. If you show up with counsel, the judge will never hear of it,
as your counsel will talk with the trooper and work something else. If
your trooper turns out to be unrelenting, take the guilty plea and move
on to a summary appeal. Troopers don't show up for that so much, as it's
out of their jurisdiction (probably in Media), and the counsel you've
hired almost definitely knows the prosecutor and judge there.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net