Jason Costomiris on Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:40:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off Topic.... [Speeding Ticket]DOOH!!

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:54:49PM -0500, Jing Teng wrote:
: I failed to stop at a stop sign a year ago, got a ticket... I went to
: the court, but the cop didn't go... I was lucky!

A couple of years ago, I got hit with careless driving on 76 West, at
the Montgomery Ave exit.  Seems this butthead of a cop needed to make
his quota.  I was in the right lane, making my move for the exit, when
someone flew up on my right.  Rather than have an accident, I pulled
into (for a moment) the little painted triangular area (the "no mans land")
that separates the exit ramp from the highway, then back into the exit.
He was a real @#$#$%& about it, didn't want to listen to my side of things
(he claimed to only see me pulling back into the exit).  I wasn't about
to roll over and take it.  I'm a NJ driver, but the points would have
transferred, or so I was lead to believe.

I showed up in traffic court, and got off scott-free.  Our general
counsel from my company sent me to one of his buddies, who I wound up
repaying by buying him a nice lunch.  We showed up in court and literally
spent 10 minutes there.  It seems the judges were having issues with the
city workers that kept locking the judges' cars in the parking area, as
well as locking everyone else out.  So, that week, unless you were doing
something insane with a car, and/or didn't have a lawyer, you got off.
It was the judges' way of telling the city to fix the problem, or lose
their revenue stream from tickets.  Great huh?

The other time I got hit in PA was on the turnpike.  72 in a 55.  I thought
the Trooper was a little low. ;-)  Got the ticket in October, he cancelled
November, I cancelled December, so i showed up in January to the magistrate's
shack in Conshohocken, Trooper came in, we chatted for a minute, he offerred
me 60 in a 55, no points, they don't even notify NJ.  It was like Christmas
all over again.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.