Tobias DiPasquale on Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:43:48 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Study System Security

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 17:18, Jing Teng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in system security. Can somebody give me some
> recommendations on books/web site to start with?
>
> Thanks
> Jing

First, check out http://securityfocus.com and subscribe yourself to the
Bugtraq mailing list, which is the premier mailing list for security
issues and vulnerabilities. Next, go and check out
http://linuxsecurity.com/ and read some of their newbie articles. Please
refrain from reading anything by Microsoft about security; that will
only serve to retard your education in security further. As a followup,
you should read the Secure Programming for Linux and Unix HOWTO, which
can be found here:

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/

After you feel comfortable with that material, you should consult Bruce
Schneier's excellent "Applied Cryptography" book, which can be found in
any bookstore across the nation. It is excellent not only in the
cryptology it discusses, but also in it's treatment of cryptography's
place in security and the importance of strong protocols as well as
strong crypto.

For general system security practices, there are many online documents
that you can use for your study. Here are just a few:

http://draenor.org/securebsd/
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html
Linux System Security: The Administrator's Guide To Open Source Security
Tools, by Scott Mann (this one's a book)

You'll note that I did not mention anything about securing Microshaft
machines or networks. That's because this is impossible and futile to
attempt. System security is a serious art, best left alone by the
marketing monkeys in Redmond. Anyway, have fun with this stuff. It's
some great information for you!

<< T o b i a s   D i P a s q u a l e >>
anany@ece.villanova.edu | tdipas01@villanova.edu | toby@khenry.com

Of course, in order to partially emulate an ASR-33, you could perhaps
connect an
IBM selectric up to your computer while running a looped recording of
gunfight
and an idling 58 chevy with one blown piston. For the final touch, you
could replace
the room's light switch with a dimmer switch and wiggle it back and
forth whenever
you are printing something out.

-- Anonymous Coward, SlashDot, commenting about Caldera's release of
some
   original UNIX sources