Bill Jonas on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:40:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Installation questions - SuSe 7.3

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 12:46:14AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Is there any best way to do this? What about file type? I want the entire
> disk linux. no dual boot.

It all comes down to your preference.  I prefer, generally:
swap:   2xRAM
/:      100MB-1G
/usr:   1-10G
/var:   500MB-5G
/home:  As much as possible

Of course, this varies depending on what kind of space I have to work
with and what the purpose of the machine is going to be.

> Tell me about Resisert?

ReiserFS is a journalling filesystem.  Therefore, the integrity of the
filesystem structure itself remains intact at all times, eliminating the
need for an fsck upon boot in the case of an unclean shutdown.  Note
that only the filesystem metadata is journalled, not the data itself, so
data loss is still possible.  You just won't have to wait twenty minutes
while your filesystems are checked.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html