Michael Leone on Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:51:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] linux sw install

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 22:58, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > Not my point. I know Unix users can install software. I meant that Win2K
> > users can, too (without being Administrator).
>
> What does administrator do under win2k? I don't know about this. I'm just
> curious. I don't know much about windows.

Administrator = root user of Win2K

> Check out sudo. With sudo, you can let a user start up anything they need
> to as a regular user. It has very fine grained control. It also has great
> loggin. So the above is completely incorrect. With sudo under linux, you
> can start up anything you want as a regular user as long as the admin
> gives you permission.

Yes, Fred, I know. I'm refering to Windows 2000. Which, BTW, has a
"RunAs" feature, which is similar (but not identical) to sudo. (I'm told
- I've never had occasion to actually use it)

> > > I suggest that a simple book on unix philosophy is read and thought about
> > > for a week, while one works on the console for that week and forget all
> > > about the MS mentality,
> >
> > Most of us admins can't do that, since we must use and support it.
>
> But is plug the right place to get help?

I was never looking for help. I was commenting on statements made in the
other thread, that stated that you had to be Administrator in Win2K to
install software, which is incorrect.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.