Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:58:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] linux sw install

> Not my point. I know Unix users can install software. I meant that Win2K
> users can, too (without being Administrator).

What does administrator do under win2k? I don't know about this. I'm just
curious. I don't know much about windows.

> > > Ditto for most stuff in Linux. I can't start up many services as a
> > > regular user.
> >
> > All/some fallacy. There are actually some that you can start as a regular
> > user, heck more and more services are trying to run as regular users, but
> > not all can be started as regular users, and I don't know why the tone
> > above seems to suggest that this is a flaw in linux (or unix). Linux has
> > many flaws, but this is not one of them.
>
> Most you can not.

Check out sudo. With sudo, you can let a user start up anything they need
to as a regular user. It has very fine grained control. It also has great
loggin. So the above is completely incorrect. With sudo under linux, you
can start up anything you want as a regular user as long as the admin
gives you permission.

> > I suggest that a simple book on unix philosophy is read and thought about
> > for a week, while one works on the console for that week and forget all
> > about the MS mentality,
>
> Most of us admins can't do that, since we must use and support it.

But is plug the right place to get help?

Fred