Toby DiPasquale on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:10:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Software security

I agree. Smaller companies seem to have a lesser amount of policy on
security than larger companies that may be financially liable for quite a
large amount of money in the event of a computer breakin or data
corruption. I have worked for only smaller companies and have noticed that
none of their security policies satisfied my desires for comprehensive
security. When I worked with Windows, I was regularly logging in as
Administrator, because that is the only way to develop applications with
Microsoft software. That included hitting the Web as Admin and doing all
sorts of extra insecure stuff as Admin. I never have to do that stuff as
root on *n*x, since everything but <1024 ports are accesible from my
regular userid.

<< T o b i a s   D i P a s q u a l e >>
anany@ece.villanova.edu | tdipas01@villanova.edu | toby@khenry.com

"Bill Gates comes to visit SoftImage and during an employee Q/A someone asks
'Since the Internet is all about free software, how come Microsoft is still
charging for it?'"
 -- Adam Barr,
    __Proudly Serving My Corporate Masters__