Forge 2000 on Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:48:39 -0500

RE: [PLUG] SuSe 7.3 booting

SuSE has known issues with Promise cards. I had fine luck with mine, as
long as I put Linux on a drive on the first Promise connector (hde/hdf),
and if I used hdf, there had to be a disk on hde. GRUB also handles
Promise/Highpoint IDE controllers better than LILO does.

If you'd like to scrap out the Promise and move everything over to
onboard IDE, I can walk you through that. As far as LILO vs. Ultra100
goes, I have a bit of experience with both, but stopped using LILO for
reasons like this one.

If you'd like, you can reach me off-list at forge@dca.net.

- Rich 'Forge' Mingin

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Fred K Ollinger
Sent: March 17, 2002 14:34
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] SuSe 7.3 booting

> SuSe says it makes a boot floppy but it just gives a screenful of O1's
> I can boot from the SuSe CD if I start the install and quit and then
'boot
> current system' and then tell it my root directory - /dev/hdf7

Can you boot from cd? There are a few good rescue cds out there.

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=inde
x&req=viewarticle&artid=492

> I think I am fighting a couple of problems - maybe? My bios does not
> recognize the add-on card so a reference to hdf in my floppy boot is
> meaningless. Do I need to have the actual kernel on the floppy and
boot it
> there? If so how do I do that? dd it over?  I did not actually make a
> kernel,, it was a SuSe install.

Usually there are disk images that are 1.4M and end in .fl or img. You
can
use rawrite in win to make a floppy.

> If I wanted to 'can' the add-on and just put this on hda would I edit
> fstab and change all entries to hdf to hda? Then reboot, edit
lilo.conf to
> hda and run lilo?

Do an fdisk -l to list the partition table so you can be sure.
Your idea should work once you can boot. Does suse still use lilo? I'm
just curious as most distros are moving toward grub. I still use lilo
out
of laziness. :)

> Don't ask why the system is configured this way! I know it is strange.
But
> I did it and I want to learn from it. I may not leave it this way!

I think you'll learn quite a bit if this is your first time.

Good luck,

Fred