Doug Crompton on Sun, 17 Mar 2002 15:29:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SuSe 7.3 booting

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> > SuSe says it makes a boot floppy but it just gives a screenful of O1's
> > I can boot from the SuSe CD if I start the install and quit and then 'boot
> > current system' and then tell it my root directory - /dev/hdf7
>
> Can you boot from cd? There are a few good rescue cds out there.
>

> Fred

Yes my SuSe seems to use lilo.

Yes, the SuSe CD boots and runs the install. I can cancel and boot the
exisitng install by telling it the root partition but by this time it has
already run the install kernel which recognizes my PCI add-on IDE. I
obviously do not want to run this way! So my choices as I see it are:

Make the floppy boot - would mean the kernel would have to boot there to
to make the add-on PCI available.

OR put the HD back on a bios bootable device - hda - and make the
appropriate changes in the fstab and lilo.conf.

Run me thru how I make a boot CD? SuSe seems to think a boot CD is one
with MBR only on it. I guess that technically is true but if the MBR
references a device you can't get to in the BIOS it obvioulsy does no
good! Do I need to run  make BZdisk?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *