Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:10:34 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Software security

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 06:05:15PM -0500, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> [...small companies pay less attention to security than big ones...]

In the limit, consider an individual as a very small company. Most
individuals have even less security than small companies.

I suspect part of the reason is the cost. For an individual (or a
small company), the brain space of someone paying attention to this is
a much higher proportion of resources and so is distracting however
important it might be abstractly.

For a big company, it's easy to assign one person out of 100 (or
several out of 10,000) to security. Just the task switching costs are
often over 1% for an individual, or so it feels to me when I have
multiple things to do.

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>