pinkee on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:01:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 12:04:40PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 11:10:18PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> What is there to gain by applying a pppoe patch? Really curious here as it
> is rock solid. It has gone down 2x in 3 months. It came back up when I
> restarted the services--I made a script to do this.

When I was using verizon as a dsl provider I applied patches at least
twice a month. I had no need to reset it, although I hardly think you
can refer to roaring penguins very interactive set up as hellish.  The
advantage to patching is the same reason people patch software, bugs get
found and exploited. If you are on one ip long enough, they will get ya.
I got hacked on a dhcp connection. Humorous side note: they apparently
wanted out fast and had set up a daemon to mail conf files to them. The
typo'd the e-maill addy :)

> If there is an advantage to upgrading I will, otherwise, I'm pinning my
> version to what works. I don't wish to go through the hell of setting it
> up again.

Think security.

pinkee
--