Adam Schaible on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:45:34 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL - and online security

I've been using roaring penguin for my Covad DSL
connection for several months and I agree with Fred,
it has been rock solid. In fact, it's better than
Covad's own "dialer" that I use on my Win partition :)
I do, however, share pinkee's concern about security.
I asked some people about it at a PLUG meeting the
other month and after I remarked that I don't have my
own firewall they said what I need to do is start
shutting down ports. Is there a HOWTO I should read,
or can someone at least give me a short list of good
shell commands to accomplish this?

Right now the only "security" I use is starting and
stopping roaring penguin every time I use the
internet. Since I am DHCP and am only on for an hour
or so at a time I think this is reasonable, but I
would like to take additional precautions almost as
much for the tutorial value as for anything else.

Some more comments about DSL: One thing I noticed is
that almost everyone using it is on Verizon these
days... do they already have a total monopoly in most
areas? I am extremely happy with Covad and I have
heard a lot of good things about SpeakEasy and DCAnet
as well on this list. It's just that Verizon
advertises more than anyone else combined, and I
wonder what the availability of other options is and f
people even know about them anymore.