Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:59:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL - and online security

> I do, however, share pinkee's concern about security.

I was scared when I first got on, but now I'm just plain comfortable, I
guess. I do keep shutting down ports, increase logging, and replace things
w/ more secure alternatives so I think that this is going to help a
little.

> I asked some people about it at a PLUG meeting the
> other month and after I remarked that I don't have my
> own firewall they said what I need to do is start
> shutting down ports. Is there a HOWTO I should read,
> or can someone at least give me a short list of good
> shell commands to accomplish this?

Do an nmap on yourself. This will show you what's open. Then you can
either change: /etc/services, /etc/inetd.d, or /etc/xinetd.d (in debian,
it's /etc/xinetd.conf), commenting out things like wu-ftp, telnet, and
rshd (cringe).

> Some more comments about DSL: One thing I noticed is
> that almost everyone using it is on Verizon these
> days... do they already have a total monopoly in most
> areas? I am extremely happy with Covad and I have
> heard a lot of good things about SpeakEasy and DCAnet
> as well on this list. It's just that Verizon

I have heard bad about verizon as well. What do these alternatives offer?
Do they filter port 80? This enrages me about verizon.

Fred