Bill Jonas on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:54:00 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:20:09AM -0500, pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:
> they actively change dns servers to make it harder to connect. Search

The alternative to that is to run your own name server.  It's really
easy with Debian, just "apt-get install bind".  Then look into
overriding your DHCP options for name service.  (I use ISC's dhclient
(Debian package is called dhcp-client).  It also has some neat hooks for
running arbitrary commands after your IP address changes, which is handy
if you run a firewall.)  Major security bonus points if you change the
listen-on directive so that it only accepts connections from 127.0.0.1
(and your internal interface if you're running this on your firewall/NAT
box).  The root nameservers don't change IPs (not that I'm aware of,
anyway), so as long as you have an IP and a default route you should be
good to go.

You can maybe speed up the name resolution a bit if you use the
forwarders and forward-first directive with your ISP's name server IP
addresses.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html