Doug Crompton on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:12:59 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SuSe 7.3 booting

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 11:24:14PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > Here is what I did...
>
> There's a simpler way, although (as always) it isn't as flexible.  It's
> handy in a pinch, or if you have a very large kernel and only need to
> worry about booting one partition.
>
> First, dd (or cat, or whatever) the kernel to a floppy.
> Next, use "rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/rootpartition".
> Now you're ready to boot.

Does the floppy have to have a filesystem on it or just IBM formatted?

> If you have the space to spare and a small extra drive, you could make
> that hda, and move your current Windows drive to hdb.  I'm not sure how
> Windows would react to that change, though.
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/

Actually the windows HD is just there. It was a drive someone gave me and
it has win95 on it. I have no use for it. I will probably do what you say
and make it boot. It just seems crazy to spin a drive just to boot an O/S
you might reboot twice a year once it gets setup. I guess I could put it
in a removable box and turn the key off when I am not using it, but then
autoboot, if the power fails a long time and the UPs shuts it all down,
would not work. How about a boot CD? is there a way to do that? That would
work. My writer is on win2K though.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *