Michael Leone on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:25:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SuSe 7.3 booting

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 22:20, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 11:24:14PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > Here is what I did...
>
> There's a simpler way, although (as always) it isn't as flexible.  It's
> handy in a pinch, or if you have a very large kernel and only need to
> worry about booting one partition.
>
> First, dd (or cat, or whatever) the kernel to a floppy.
> Next, use "rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/rootpartition".

/dev/rootpartition? never saw that one before. A symlink called
/dev/root, pointing to the real root partition.

> read up on it a bit.  (I plan on migrating to GRUB soon, after having
> had my first experience with it.  I use a GRUB boot disk to boot into
> the HURD the other day, LILO being insufficient for the task.  It was
> neat.)

Insufficient in what way?

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.