Bill Jonas on Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:51:52 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SuSe 7.3 booting

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:24:12PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> /dev/rootpartition? never saw that one before. A symlink called
> /dev/root, pointing to the real root partition.

I meant it symbolically; I implied a '$' before "rootpartition", or
"replace 'rootpartition' with your actual root partition name (hda5,
hdf1, sdb2, etc)".

> Insufficient in what way?

HURD is a microkernel, and it uses servers to do nearly all the work of
a proper kernel.  It only coordinates the servers and passes messages
between them.  For example, a server allows you to use your ethernet
card, and a server provides a login prompt[1] (instead of using a
getty).  Additionally, unlike a monolithic kernel like Linux[2], there's
no "filesystem code" in the kernel itself; it's handled by a server,
too, and that server needs to be started in order to be able to access
the filesystem.  This is done in GRUB with the "module" directive after
you specify the root filesystem (with "root (hdX,Y)", X and Y being the
disk and partition numbers, respectively) and the kernel image (which,
in the case of Debian GNU/HURD, would be "kernel /boot/gnumach.gz").
More information is available at
<http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html>.
I'm not aware of any LILO equivalent to GRUB's "module" directive.  (See
also <http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/> and
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/>.  If anyone decides to give it a
spin, note that you'll need the dummy packages from
<ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/dummy/>
in order to satisfy dependencies in the ported Debian packages before
you can start installing stuff with apt.)

[1]Because of the architecture of the HURD, the traditional limitation
that a process can only reduce its privileges no longer applies.
Assuming a process has permission somehow, it can actually *increase*
its privileges.  This leads to very interesting possibilities.  One of
the first such things that I noticed was that instead of a getty, you
basically get a bash prompt when you boot the system.  (I'm assuming
it's started by a Mach server.)  This shell has zero privileges (think
user "nobody"), but you can still look around the system at whatever is
allowed for all to see.  When you authenticate using "login $USER", you
inherit the process (like a getty) and your privileges get elevated to
that of the user as which you logged in (unlike a getty, where it drops
root and goes to your username).

[2]Yes, Linux is modular now, but when you load a module, the kernel and
the just-loaded module act as one unit.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html