Martin DiViaio on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:25:16 -0500

[PLUG] Weird Hang on Boot

I'm custom compiling the 2.4.18 kernel with the preemptable kernel patch
and I seeing a really weird hang while INIT is running through the rc
scripts. I am compiling this on a fresh install of RedHat 7.2. I am not
seeing this problem with either the 2.4.7 kernel that installs with the
distrobution or the 2.4.9 upgrade available from updates.redhat.com.

At first I thought klogd was not initializing correctly. But that turned
out to be wrong. Not starting syslogd and klogd only prolonged the
eventual hang to a few minutes after boot.

My next idea was the keytable script that is started after the syslog
script. This turned out to be a false lead as well.

I have searched at google and all I could find were some posts to the
kernel-devel list about hangs with the AIC7xxx driver or some IDE modules.

I need the AIC7xxx module and I have tried both modules available in the
kernel and I am still seeing the same problem. Besides, according to the
2.4.18 changelogs, these problems were fixed.

Anyone have any insights as to why this is happening?