LeRoy Cressy on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:20:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird Hang on Boot

Martin DiViaio wrote:

> I'm custom compiling the 2.4.18 kernel with the preemptable kernel patch
Why not compile the AIC7xxx scsi driver into the kernel and not as a
module?  Also a copy of dmesg would help.  Also what is the rdev of the
kerne?  Is the kernel just booting until it comes to the mounting the
root partition and cannot because there is no driver for either the
/dev/hda or /dev/sda drives.  The drivers for the root partition need to
be an integral portion of the kernel and cannot be loadable modules.

> and I seeing a really weird hang while INIT is running through the rc
> scripts. I am compiling this on a fresh install of RedHat 7.2. I am not
> seeing this problem with either the 2.4.7 kernel that installs with the
> distrobution or the 2.4.9 upgrade available from updates.redhat.com.
>
> At first I thought klogd was not initializing correctly. But that turned
> out to be wrong. Not starting syslogd and klogd only prolonged the
> eventual hang to a few minutes after boot.
>
> My next idea was the keytable script that is started after the syslog
> script. This turned out to be a false lead as well.
>
> I have searched at google and all I could find were some posts to the
> kernel-devel list about hangs with the AIC7xxx driver or some IDE modules.
>
> I need the AIC7xxx module and I have tried both modules available in the
> kernel and I am still seeing the same problem. Besides, according to the
> 2.4.18 changelogs, these problems were fixed.
>
> Anyone have any insights as to why this is happening?

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <