Martin DiViaio on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:45:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird Hang on Boot

On the 24th day of March in the year 2002 you wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:18:44 -0500
> From: LeRoy Cressy <leroy@lrcressy.com>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Weird Hang on Boot
>
> Why not compile the AIC7xxx scsi driver into the kernel and not as a
> module?  Also a copy of dmesg would help.  Also what is the rdev of the
> kerne?  Is the kernel just booting until it comes to the mounting the
> root partition and cannot because there is no driver for either the
> /dev/hda or /dev/sda drives.  The drivers for the root partition need to
> be an integral portion of the kernel and cannot be loadable modules.

It's mounting all of the partitions fine. I've tried the AIC7xxx modules
both as modules (using initrd) and compiled directly into the kernel.

At first, I thought it was a problem with klogd since I was seeing the
hang just after it told me that the kernel logger was started sucessfully.
This turned out to be wrong since I once started both syslogd and klogd
manually without any imediate problems. The system did eventually hang. I
rebooted the machine after that and left syslogd and klogd off and the
system still went into a hang.

The boot process will sometimes complete normally and I can log into the
box. But it doesn't last. The system eventually hangs without any warning
or messages being displayed.

One other thing I've noticed is that if I go through the interacive bootup
the system will boot to a login prompt every time. It hangs eventually.

I will try to get a dmesg off of the box but I am currently having an
unrelated issue with the network card that I won't be able to clear up
until Monday.

I know I've miscompiled the kernel I'm just not sure where. I did run
across an article in the SMP-HOWTO that says that odd hangs can occur with
some protocol issues. I have compiled SMP support into the kernel but I am
not using multiple processors at the moment. Could that be the problem? If
not, could it be the preemptable patch? Or both?