Sam Hunting on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 04:50:10 +0100

[PLUG] Modem problems

I have a CNet 5614XE modem that I know works with Linux, since it
worked fine until I started having problems with RH PPP (thinking the
modem was still on hook when it was not).

Under Linux I can dial out and connect, but the kppp graph shows the
connection is flatlined, and no data actually moves over the wire.

I am currently writing this mail, using the same modem, using a Mac,
which does connect and move data.

setserial gives me (for both /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS0 this:

     Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
     baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
     closing_wait 3000 Flags: spd_normal, skip_test

Other symptoms:

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf gives me a long list where all the entries
look like:

     ttyS0<Info>: Device or resource busy

that ends with:

      Sorry! No modem was detected

But minicom is able to detect the moden, and send AT commands, which
the modem acknowledges. And the Mac is able to detect the modem. And
kppp is able to detect the modem, it just can't move any data using it.

Normally, I'd try to lobotomize the modem with an AT&F and an ATZ --
but while AT&F works, ATZ doesn't get any acknowledgement.

Help!

Many thanks.

=====
<!-- Topic map and XML consulting:  www.etopicality.com
     Open source topic map toolkit: www.goose-works.org

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."

eTopicality, Inc. (tm) -->