Mike Leone on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:29:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading the Libranet

>Rubbish. If X doesn't run it *always* prints an error message. There must be something about unsupported rates or some such.

It threw out the rates I was *not* using; said nothing about the rates I wanted to use. I deliberately checked for that.

>Are you doing startx or trying to run xdm?

startx. Happened with gdm, too ... which is one reason why I always turn off gdm.

>Don't you have those? Don't you know what the various numbers in a Modeline mean?

Sure do. And copied the Modelines verbatim from a X config file that worked under Mandrake. If the modelines worked under X 4.1.0 under Mandrake, you'd think they'd work under X 4.1.0 under Debian ...  But there was no error. Nothing that said "so-and-so module not found!"  or "error in library" or whatever.

>Um... if you don't want to fight with it, then stop trying to do non-standard things. :^>

It's Debian; upgrading the whole distro from stable to testing is not a non-standard thing to do. :-)

>You should be completely able to do what you want, but it's going to take a bit of effort on your part. Unix helps them what helps
>themselves. And Linux too.

Yes, I know. And I don't mind a bit of effort. I do mind having to b*tch slap my PC into working. Debian is the only one I've never gotten X to work right (oh, and Slackware 3.2, back in the day ...).  Except for this default install of Libranet - fair is fair.  And I've heard of others who upgraded to testing and got it to work.

So, for the moment, I'll stay with this free download version of Libranet. I ordered the retail version, with the later KDE, later kernel, etc that I really want. Hopefully, it'll be here in a few days, and I'll just blow my install all away (again), and install the latest Libranet. And if I REALLY get annoyed ... I'll do what I did last time, and buy the new Mandrake. I eventually get annoyed at it, too, but for other reasons. :-)

That wasn't the first time this weekend that an upgrade like that didn't work right, BTW; it was the 3rd. Sometimes X worked, but KDE didn't (it was only partially there); sometimes X didn't work; etc. And I have done the dist-upgrade before, but only on servers (meaning stuff I wouldn't be running X on, anyway). It worked fine for that machine.

Debian sure deserves it's cranky reputation. Altho, I must say ... Librarnet made the installation process immensely easier than that holdover-from-the-Jurassic-Period potato installation routine.