gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:08:41 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading the Libranet

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:47:35AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> Nothing. I get the same X server output I always got with with my old
> distro. Except that this X doesn't run.

Rubbish. If X doesn't run it *always* prints an error message. There
must be something about unsupported rates or some such. (I guess
it's *possible* that something is magically killing X after the
fact, but I really doubt it.) Could I see the X output?

Are you doing startx or trying to run xdm? In the latter case, you
might look for an Xsession.errors file under /usr/X11R6 somewhere.

> That'll edit the config file, all right. Will it tell me things like
> modelines,resolutions, etc, to put INTO the file?
>
> No, I didn't think so.

No, but the documentation for your monitor and video card are
supposed to tell you that. Don't you have those? Don't you know what
the various numbers in a Modeline mean?

> As it happened, I just blew it all away, and reinstalled the
> potato-based one from the CD. This is why I never used Debian on a
> day-to-day basis - too much fighting with it. I fight computers all day
> at work; I prefer to come home and minimize the fighting.

Um... if you don't want to fight with it, then stop trying to do
non-standard things. :^>

You should be completely able to do what you want, but it's going to
take a bit of effort on your part. Unix helps them what helps
themselves. And Linux too.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net