Martin DiViaio on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:33:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading the Libranet

[...]

On the 25th day of March in the year 2002 you wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:08:20 -0500
> From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Upgrading the Libranet
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:47:35AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Nothing. I get the same X server output I always got with with my old
> > distro. Except that this X doesn't run.
>
> Rubbish. If X doesn't run it *always* prints an error message. There
> must be something about unsupported rates or some such. (I guess
> it's *possible* that something is magically killing X after the
> fact, but I really doubt it.) Could I see the X output?

Not quite. Wnen the window manager (or what ever program X starts
directly) dies then X will exit normally. "This is not a bug, it's a
feature(TM)" of X. Usually, the window manager will dump some garbage to
the screen but it doesn't have to. (If you have ever used the 1.7 tree of
AfterStep, it had a bug like this.)

Gabriel, have you tried starting the X server without your window manager?
(Just type X on the command line and see if the server starts.)