kevin mudrick on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:20:12 +0100

[PLUG] sendmail logs?

Got a question..

Don't know if this is doable or what, but is it possible to get the
subject lines of all emails sent through sendmail that fail for some
reason?

i.e., I can do

grep "stat=Host unknown" /var/log/maillog*

to get a list of all messages that fail because, say, the host is unknown.
however, how can I get more details about the message itself, besides for
the recipient email address?  I see the messageid, something like
LAA21212", but is there a data directory or some file where that message
is stored?  I found /var/spool/mqueue/ - but it looks like that only holds
messages which sendmail is going to keep trying to send.

Thanks,
Kevin

--
 (kevin mudrick)   (kevin@furhurts.com)   (www.bleachedwhale.com)
  pgp key available at http://www.bleachedwhale.com/kevinGPG.asc

 Despair: It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.