kevin mudrick on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:50:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] sendmail logs?

> Sendmail doesn't really care about the message body. The body is
> irrelevant. You could possibly write a milter script to do something.
> Check out www.milter.org. What is it you're trying to do?

Hmm, I'm not sure if milter is what I need.  What I'm trying to do is,
more-or-less, after-the-fact.

Basically, a large volume of emails get sent out here to customers here at
my company.  I'd like to compile small reports of what emails aren't
making it through.  If, in a given month, 100 messages get bounced, it'd
be neater to have a little report of the customer name/email/subject line,
rather than depend on employees in customer service (the "sender", or
rather the address of the sender) to take the bouncebacks and put them in
some sort of database/spreadsheet, manually.

I can parse the maillog file to see the addresses of failed messages, but
i'd like to be able to sort, say, failed order confirmation emails versus
failed subscription renewal notifications.  I figured grouping by message
subject line would be a good way to go about that.. but as I look, it
doesn't seem like I have access to that sort of information.

-Kevin

--
 (kevin mudrick)   (kevin@furhurts.com)   (www.bleachedwhale.com)
  pgp key available at http://www.bleachedwhale.com/kevinGPG.asc

 Despair: It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.