Kevin Brosius on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:31:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ISDN

Doug Crompton wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Kevin Brosius wrote:
>
> > I was considering ISDN access about a year ago, before trying out
> > ricochet.  My only major problem was not getting any response or contact
> > from Verizon about rates/line install.  Their contact number answered
> > with voice mail, and I didn't get a callback.  At the time, comments I
> > read said they had moved all their ISDN staff to DSL sales.
> >
> Thanks Kevin. You did not say what you were using now. I understand
> Ricochet went out of business.
>
> Actually I will probably end up paying about $120/month for the whole
> package. 2B ISDN and 24/7 static IP from a local provider. The one I
> mentioned was in WA state and was not 24/7. Maybe I should call Speakeasy
> or DCAnet and see if they have ISDN. I do need it dialed up all the time
> though. This whole thing is so ridiculous because ISDN at 128/128 must
> need a line on the order of IDSL at 144/144 but verizon won't allow an
> IDSL beyond 18K feet. I have a hard time figuring this all out.

I'm within range of my local CO, so finally went with directv dsl (on a
verizon line.)  I put it off for a long time because of the cost of DSL
and the horror stories I read about verizon.

I think with ISDN they will install repeater equipment to get to you,
but I'm not absolutely sure.  I hope you don't run into the same problem
that you had trying to get DSL.  I know in the Lansdale area the rollout
of ISDN was very much like DSL.  It wasn't available until they
installed the ISDN equipment, and then it wasn't available in all parts
of town.  (Of course, this pre-dates DSL by about 5 years.)

--
Kevin Brosius